Wednesday, February 17, 2010

America's greatest export?

Since we don't have cable or satellite the weekly TV guide usually goes straight to the recycling bin. This week I was thinking about inviting myself over to a friend's house to watch the Olympics so I fished it out of the bin to see what kind of coverage they have here in Germany. As I browsed, many English words caught my eye and I was astounded to see how much of the programming comes directly from the U.S.A. (well, via a dubbing studio, which also means that nothing is from the current season).

At primetime, Germany has the pleasure of viewing such hits as Law and Order, House, Monk, CSI, Desperate Housewives, The Simpsons, 24, Stargate, Big Brother, Crossing Jordan and Heroes. Imagine if all you knew of America were based on these shows- scary!

On daytime and late night TV they can watch such American treasures as Golden Girls, Who's The Boss, Columbo, The Nanny, King of Queens, Two and a Half Men, Gilmore Girls, Malcolm in the Middle, Star Trek and even good ol' Perry Mason. Imagine basing your opinions of our country on these shows- even scarier!

But I am sure that everyone here knows, just as we do in America, that TV life is nothing like real life. Everyone does know that, right? ;)

2 comments:

cortina said...

LOL

Craig R said...

I don't know....our family resembled Malcolm in the Middle more than I want to admit!