Monday, February 2, 2009

Dark days and colorful buildings

Whoever lives in this home sees spectacular sunsets everyday!
See the cross-country ski rack next to the door?
Kids actually ski to school!
Shops in the city center

Brightly painted houses are characteristic of Scandinavia and I loved seeing them. The warm colors make ordinary buildings look so interesting and inviting. All the photos above were taken in the middle of the day- between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM- under pretty clear skies. I can imagine that when the dark hours are long and the landscape is all white, everyone really appreciates a splash of color. But I don't know why we don't all use more color! Who wants to live life amidst shades of white and taupe and brown and gray? Watch out! I may start a "color movement" when I come back to the U.S.- you might hope I'm not your neighbor!

No comments: