Friday, October 31, 2008

What have I gotten myself into?

There is an explanation for this, but I don't know how much it has to do with living in Germany. It might have more to do with me having a bit of extra time on my hands and being determined to conquer domesticity!

It's the time of year when we all start thinking about soup. The leaves are falling, the air is brisk, we come inside with cold noses and cold hands. Nothing sounds better than pulling up to the table for a bowl of fragrant steamy soup and a thick slice of fresh bread! Mmmm!

So, I've been pulling out my recipes and headed to the store this morning. Just one problem- I couldn't find broth! Soups have to start with that, there's just no way around it. As I was strolling past the freezer section, I happened to notice a sign that said soup chickens. I thought, "Well, they say there's no true substitute for real broth and since I can't find the canned stuff I might as well go for it. How hard can it be?"

I seem to have momentarily forgotten how much I hate handling raw meat, especially when it is still basically shaped like the animal it once was. So I got her home (I have now read that soup chickens are "spent breeders" and I can't help thinking of it as she) and thawed her out in the microwave. Then I rinsed her in the sink and started crying! I know it sounds totally ridiculous, and I don't know if I was crying for her, having spent her life laying eggs and then ending up in a soup pot, or for myself because it was right then that I realized that I would not only have to get this thing into the pot to cook but also get it out again, take its skin off and cut all the meat off the bones. Just thinking of it is giving me goose bumps, or is it chicken skin?!?

But I feel like I have to complete the task that I started, even if Aaron does get home in time to do the dirty work. I am less certain of whether I'll be able to eat anything that comes from this endeavor!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Awww....I know exactly what you're feeling. I've been there before too! Although not with the whole entity that's in your picture. I made stock myself before, but a bit differently. In fact, I have a great enchilada recipe where everything is from scratch (except the tortillas), I'll email it to you since I remember from one of your other blog entries that you guys like that kind of food.

Anyhow, I feel your pain. But now seems a perfect time for you to dive into such endeavors! Let us know how it turns out!

Xo
Jess